HGTV: 10 Home Maintenance Tips for Spring
Now that spring has sprung, it is time to dust off the cobwebs of winter and prepare our homes and lawns for the year ahead. Here is a great article from HGTV.com on home maintenance tips. For the full article, click here.
- Check your gutters and downspots to be sure everything is working properly when the spring rains arrive. Repair any that are loose, leaky or clogged.
- To prevent “spot flooding” in low areas of your lawn, fill in holes and other low lying areas with compact soil. This will help with drainage and prevent bugs from gathering in standing water.
- Using a screwdriver, inspect wood trim around doors, windows and other exposed outdoor wood. Make repairs now to prevent rotting wood later.
- Examine roof shingles for any problem areas that will worsen as the weather gets warmer and wetter.
- Have your chimney flue inspected and serviced.
- Repair cracks in concrete and asphalt.
- Move firewood stored outdoors. It should be at least 18 inches off the ground and two feet away from your home.
- Check hose faucets for winter damage or leaks.
- Have your heating and cooling systems serviced
- Check your lawn tools (lawn mower, trimmer, etc. to be sure they will be ready for use when you need them. Schedule repairs and servicing now.