The garbage disposal is one of those small household appliances that we take for granted. It isn’t something we really think about. We use it automatically and don’t pay much attention to it until something goes wrong. Here American Home Shield offers tips on repairing and maintaining your garbage disposal:
– Clean the disposal by feeding a tray of ice cubes through it while running cold water.
– To avoid clogging, continue to run cold water at least 20 seconds after you finish using the disposal.
– Make sure the rubber splashguard that covers the disposal/drain area is not damaged or missing. This helps protect the disposal – and YOU – from damage!
– If the garbage disposal won’t turn on, check for a blow fuse, tripped circuit breaker and that the outlet you are using has power.
– If the flywheel of the disposal is jammed, free it by using the tool that came with the disposal or a long wooden spoon handle.
– Check your disposal manual to be sure you only dispose of materials that are allowed.
– Always run cold water when using the disposal.
Still need help? Consult American Home Shield online for additional tips or contact a qualified professional!